Tuesday, May 06, 2008

You've Got to Spend Some Time Love: Death Cab for Cutie's "I Will Possess Your Heart"


So you hit it big with the in-crowd and make enough dough that you’re not in any rush to get back out on the road. What do you do? Easy. You immerse yourself in the studio.

The Beatles, of course, invented the studio-as-instrument approach in 1966 when they stopped touring and made Revolver. And it’s a tradition that going strong today. Think Wilco on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Radiohead’s Kid A and now Death Cab for Cutie.

“I Will Possess Your Heart” from Death Cab’s forthcoming album Narrow Stairs, is 8½ minutes long and has that haven’t-seen-daylight-in-months studio band feel that separates rock from rock & roll.

Like Kid A’s “The National Anthem,” “I Will Possess Your Heart” starts with a great bassline and introduces instruments one at a time. After four minutes of obsession-like buildup, it all comes to a halt and singer Ben Gibbard recites lyrics that sound like they could have been written by Uma Thurman’s stalker:

How I wish you could see the potential
The potential of you and me
It’s like a book elegantly bound
But in a language that you can’t read
You’ve got to spend some time love
You’ve got to spend some time with me
And I know that you’ll find love
I will possess your heart


Then it picks right up again and brings it all back home.

Narrow Stairs comes out on May 13. But you can get all 8:37 minutes of “I Will Possess Your Heart” for a mere 99 cents on iTunes. And you can enjoy the globetrotting, stalker-ific video right here for absolutely nothing.

YouTube: Death Cab for Cutie, “I Will Possess Your Heart”

1 comment:

timedog said...

The beatles did not invent studio as instrument think you can first look at the beach boys and then go back to phil spector, or joe meek